Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Senses and Sensations

Are you not glad?
You have two eyes that see
A mouth that speaks
Ears that hear and feet that walks
Hands that grasps.

Are you not glad?
Your eyes see the richness and good life around you
You mouth speaks of wealth and luxury
Your ears hear the best of music and pleasantries
Your hands grasp the healthy hands of those you love

I too have
Eyes – that see despair and suffering around me
Mouth –that can express only sympathy
Ears- that hear cries of hunger from the young that have yet to learn restraint
Hands that hold the dying and the sick around me.

I am from Ethiopia, Palestine,
Bangladesh, India,
Mozambique and such
Why do we have the same senses
But different sensations?

I praise the Lord that you
do not have to experience what I do
I am grateful that
your eyes do not see the daily destruction and death around me
your ears do not hear the cries of children and frightened men and women
your mouth do not tell lies of a hopeful future
your hands do not hold your head in states of despair.

My friend,
I apologise
For sharing with you
this morbid sensations that my senses feel
Forgive me for disturbing your peace
For I succumbed to my weakness to share.

I beseech you,
Forget what I said
Continue with your happy lives
For you deserve it.
We do not.

Just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment